Wednesday, November 08, 2006

lOsing my rEliGiON......

oops, more song research (thts wht i do when i hav absolutely no work),
heard this oldie on my way to work this morning and it has stayed with me the whole day...

losing my religion- R.E.M

The song has no real chorus, it's steeped in borderline-creepy imagery and features the mandolin as the lead instrumen--yet it became the band's biggest hit and was a breakthrough video for director Tarsem (The Cell). Now THAT'S alternative. The vid starts with a pitcher of spilt milk and Michael Stipe spends the rest of the song crying over lost love. Mysterious mythic tableaus gleam evocatively and Stipe's trademark plaintive wail has never been more powerful.
The video is heavy with religious imagery, and notably features images of Saint Sebastian. Contrary to popular belief, the promotional music video was not banned in Ireland due to its use of religious imagery because the Republic does not ban music videos.

"Losing My Religion" is an expression from the southern region of the United States, and means losing one's temper or civility, or "flying off the handle."

The song title was used as the title to the second season finale of Grey's Anatomy.



O, life is bigger
It's bigger than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to
The distance in your eyes
Oh no I've said too much, I set it up



That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight, losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no I've said too much, I haven't said enough

{Refrain}
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper
Of every waking hour I'm
Choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you
Like a hurt lost and blinded fool
Oh no I've said too much, I set it up

Consider this, consider this
The hint of the century, consider this
The slip that brought me to my knees failed
What if all these fantasies come flailing around
Now I've said too much

{Refrain}

But that was just a dream, that was just a dream


That's me in the corner...

{Refrain}

But that was just a dream
Try, cry, fly, try
That was just a dream
Just a dream
Just a dream, dream.....

No comments: